Hello, I'm Dennis Mansker. Welcome to my "look at me" page.
Note: If you're looking for some of my other web pages, try these:
- Chairborne Ranger, my Transportation Corps Vietnam website, has its own doman at www.chairborneranger.com
- The Mansker Chronicles, my family genealogy site, has been passed on to a different family memnber; it can be found at
- R.A. Long High School Class of 1963 is at RA Long 1963.
Okay, if you're still around after those redirects, here's what's available on this website:
- A Bad Attitude: A Novel from the Vietnam War
-- my Vietnam War novel, published in 2002.
First Chapter and read the
reviews -- see why it's been called
"the best book about the Vietnam War".
- Short Stories -- These were written over a
number of years and published in a variety of places.
- The Myth of the Christian Nation -- This is an article originally published in the Thurston County Democrats newsletter July 2012.
- Electronic Books -- These are a bunch of public domain
out-of-copyright books that I grabbed in plain-text versions and, in the course of some
computer-geek experimentation, reformatted them
into something readable and then converted them to .pdf format. Check them out for some pleasant surprises.
- Interactive Maps of the Four Trips in Jack Kerouac's 1957 novel, On the Road.
- New! i - My Student Film from 1971.
Note: I have discovered that there are several other individuals out in the world using the name Dennis Mansker. This is who I am not:
I am the Dennis Mansker who is a 1963 graduate of R.A. Long HS in Longview, WA, a 1970 grdaute of Lower Columbia College in Longview, WA, a 1973 graduate of Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA, a Left Coast political activist, disabled Vietnam veteran and author of A Bad Attitude: A Novel from the Vietnam War, who also blogs at One Pissed Off Veteran.
In between and amongst all of this I attended Edison Elementary in Bristow OK from 1951-55; Tenmile Elementary in Tenmile OR from 1955-56; Mossyrock Elementary in Mossyrock WA in 1956-57; St Helens Elementary, Monticello Jr Hi and RA Long High in Longview WA between 1956 and 1963, with a short time out at the Castle Rock Jr Hi in 1958.
I worked at a variety of jobs between High School and the Army, including stints at Montgomery Ward in Longview, Pietro's Pizza in Longview, I sold magazines, encyclopedias and Bibles for a while, I worked at various mills in the Longview area, including R-W Paper and Long-Bell, and I worked at the Meier and Frank Dept Store at Portland's Lloyd Center and at Electronic Specialty out in East Portland. I also attended Portland State for two quarters in 1972.
I was also in the US Army at Fort Lewis WA for basic training, May-July 1967, and at Fort Huachuca AZ from July 67 to Apr 68. I was in Vietnam May 1968 to March 1969, where I was in the Transportation Corps: 543rd Transportation Company in Thu Duc and 151st Transportation Company at Long Binh.
I am now retired from 31 years of state service, all of it spent at Washington State's Employment Security Department, first in Longview and then in Olympia Washington..
If you recognize me from a previous life, please feel free to with me. I'd love to hear from you.